The Wanco X-Marker L-893(L) Runway Closure Marker is a lighted visual aid for indicating to airplane pilots that an airport runway is closed. Designed to exceed FAA requirements, its flashing lights can be seen both day and night from miles away, clearly discernible as a giant “X” and distinguishable from other lighted visual devices used at airports, signifying that the runway is not open for landings. The X‑Marker trailer is easy to transport and can be deployed by one person in less than five minutes.
The “X” shape comprises nine lights on four independent arms and a mast. When deployed, the mast tilts upward nearly to vertical, and the “X” is centered at the top of the mast. For transport and storage, the mast tilts to horizontal and the arms pivot together. The entire assembly lies flat when stowed, held in place by support brackets and lock-pins.
Each arm includes two high-efficiency LED light fixtures, with one additional light fixture located at the center of the “X.” LEDs provide highly directional light distribution, resulting in high luminosity and low power consumption.
System power is provided by a diesel engine. The system can run continuously for up to a week without intervention or refueling. Backup batteries are charged by the engine and continue to power the lights if the engine shuts down. Can also connect to shore power.
The power system is housed in a weather-resistant enclosure that has two side doors for easy access. For full access to the engine, generator and electrical components, the enclosure also has a hinged top panel that rises with the “X” assembly when maintenance is required. The side doors may be opened while the maintenance panel is raised, further enhancing access. An optional fluid-containment system, integrated into the enclosure, protects against leaks, spills and drips.
- Certified to FAA AC 150/5345-55A
- High-efficiency LED lights are visible at long distances
- Easy setup in less than 5 minutes
- Premium diesel engine with 30-gallon fuel tank
- 120 hours of continuous operation on a single tank of fuel
- Optional integrated fluid containment system
- Extremely portable, can be towed by most vehicles
- Compact trailer is easy to maneuver
- Cradles with locking pins hold display arms in place during transport
- Heavy-duty hand-winch allows one person to easily raise and lower “X” assembly
- Lock-pins hold the assembly in place during operation
- Two outriggers and five leveling jacks provide stability
- Full deployment by one person takes less than five minutes
- Fully enclosed steel equipment-bay protects controls, engine and other components from the elements
- Two gull-wing doors with latches provide access to controls, fuel tank, engine, and electronics
- Door latches accept user-supplied padlocks to protect equipment bay from unauthorized access
- Control panel features elapsed hour meter, engine indicator lights and brightness-selection switch
- Manually activated high-power operating mode melts snow and ice from lights
- High-efficiency LED lights provide bright, highly directional light
- Lights are instant-on and immediately at full intensity
- Flashing front-facing lights are visible for miles, day or night, even in poor weather
- Flashing rear-facing indicator lights allow operator to see the equipment is operating
- Ultra-quiet industrial diesel engine, 3-cylinder and water-cooled
- Energy-efficient operation results in extraordinarily long run times — 120 hours between refuelings
- Backup batteries continue to power lights for 24 hours if engine fuel runs out
- Extra-large polypropylene fuel tank shows fuel-level at a glance, no need for fuel gauge
- Fuel tank has wide filler neck for convenience
- Automatic shutdown system protects engine from damage due to low oil pressure and high coolant temperature
- System can be connected to shore power or portable power generator
- 50,000-hour LED lifespan reduces maintenance by virtually eliminating the need for replacement
- Hinged maintenance panel provides unimpeded access to engine, generator and electrical components
- Durable powder-coat finish resists the elements
- Standard trailer tires
- Heavy-duty bolt-on fenders can be replaced if damaged
- Lighted visual indication of temporary closure of airport runway
- Can also be used for airport taxiways